Thursday, February 2, 2012

Prayers for Emmeline

So it's been almost 2 months since we last blogged about our sweet little girl.  Last time I checked in we were on cloud 9 learning that we were having a little girl.  We still can't believe that in less than 3 months we are going to be parents!  Time flies...

The reason I have procrastinated blogging about the pregnancy is because of some things we have learned about Emmeline and her development.  I plan on keeping our blog updated from now on but wanted to have facts before I let everyone know.  After we found out that we were having a girl we had a follow up ultrasound at about 23 weeks to check on Emme's left arm since it looked a little funny in our initial ultrasound.  She was holding it kinda funny.  Come to find out from specialists that she is missing her left Radius which is the larger bone in the forearm.  We are still unsure what exactly this will mean for her but her right arm seems to be okay and is measuring fine.  After that ulrtasound we were asked to have a fetal echo of her heart done and 2 weeks later we were given another blow. 

Her heart was sitting slightly to a different direction that it should but they found something else called a double bubble in her GI tract.  Basically it means that the upper part of her small intestine is too narrow or closing and digested food wouldnt be able to pass without surgery within hours of her being born.  We were also told that this does occur in 20-30% of babies born with Downs Syndrome.  Leaving the doctor this time was pretty hard.

Just this past week we were referred to Vanderbilt childrens Hospital to meet with a wonderful Pediatric Cardiologist to look for any heart defects.  The result was that there are no MAJOR defects found but one smaller one.  They found a hole in her heart that will most likely require open heart surgery within the first 4 months of her life.  We are going back to the cardiologist in March when Ill be 34 weeks and our doctor will be able to see everything more clear. 

The good thing is that all these things are issues that can be fixed with surgery.  We have an appointment with a doctor at Vanderbilt next week where I will have an amniocentesis to test for any chromosonal disorders, which includes the above mentioned Downs Syndrome.  Any appointment is scary and it has been hard to start thinking about things like bringing Emmeline home and decorating the nursery with all this going on but Drew and I are finally feeling like we are reaching the home stretch in the waiting and wondering game.  Of course nothing is certain until she is born but knowing little by little does help.

Our faith in Gods plan is what has been holding us together first and foremost but our close friends and family have also played a huge role in our positive outloook.  I want to be sure to mention all the positive things about this pregnancy.  Emmeline likes to do acrobatics during the ultrasounds.  All our techs laugh at her and have even given her the nickname "noodle"!  Its kind of sticking.  We get to see her more than most get to see their baby's before they are born and for that we are grateful.    Emmeline is spot on for growth and development and is weighing in at about 2.5 pounds right now.  They are even telling me I should still be able to have a natural birth!

There are so many things we have to be thankful for and this precious little girl and the experience we have been given so far is definitly one I can say is one of the greatest blessings.  It has taught us to not take things for granted and that we definitly can plan our lives any way we wish but God will ultimately have his way.  As you read this Drew and I ask for your prayers for Emmeline and our family as we get through this part of our journey.

I have been hearing a great Rascal Flatts song on the radio a lot lately and I feel it's Gods way in telling me thats its going to be okay and to just let Him fight for us and Emmeline. I really wanted to share the lyrics with everyone along with this verse.  Phillipians 4:6-7

Here is the video link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fqPcnuVPR8&ob=av2e

Here are the lyrics:
It’s like a storm
That cuts a path
It breaks your will
It feels like that
You think you're lost
But you're not lost
On your own
You're not alone

I will stand by you
I will help you through
When you’ve done all you can do
And you can’t cope
I will dry your eyes
I will fight your fight
I will hold you tight
And I won't let go

It hurts my heart
To see you cry
I know it’s dark
This part of life
Oh, it finds us all
But we’re too small
To stop the rain
Oh, but when it rains

I will stand by you
I will help you through
When you’ve done all you can do
And you can’t cope
I will dry your eyes
I will fight your fight
I will hold you tight
And I won't let you fall

Don’t be afraid to fall
I’m right here to catch you
I won't let you down
It won't get you down
You're gonna make it
Yeah, I know you can make it

Cause I will stand by you
I will help you through
When you’ve done all you can do
And you can’t cope
And I will dry your eyes
I will fight your fight
I will hold you tight
And I won't let go

Oh I’m gonna hold you
And I won't let go
Won't let you go
No, I won't

1 comment:

  1. Praying and thinking of you daily!!! Emmeline is lucky to be in your family! Hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete